Monday 3 November 2014

AMBER ROMANCE

WHEN THE HEART KNOWS


CHAPTER TWENTY ONE




“You are forgetting one thing Amber; you left her when she needed you most”
Nma gasped with shock, she wanted to turn away but she couldn’t do so rather she opened the door and saw Amber, the woman whom she had always adored, the woman she used to day dream was her mother, the woman who had just confessed she was her mother. And Felix knew all along and never told her. Oh God! Will her suffer never end. The two of them were very engrossed in their argument that they didn’t notice her.
“I might have left her when she needed me but I was never that far Felix and you know it, in my way I have watched over her!”
“Amber Nma doesn’t need you now if you have any heart at all you will stay away and leave her in peace.”
“She needs me now Felix, oh you haven’t told her, her bank is liquidated and she is broke, she has an exhibition coming up and I am the only one who might help”
“She is getting married to billionaire…”
“Then you don’t know her”
Nma was dying inside, she was past feeling, she had just lost the love of her life, her mother had just shown up after twenty six years and she has lost all her money. There was nothing else for her, except to make something clear to Felix.
“Uche and I broke up three days ago, so right now I have no one”
They both turned to look at her
“How long have you been there Nma?”
“Long enough” she replied coolly she was not going to show to either of them how betrayed she felt. She turned to Amber
“Hello mother” she managed a smile “Felix is right about one thing, I don’t need you or your money, you are twenty six years six month and five days late” she turned and left.

She was about to go back to studio but she stopped and walked out of the boutique and kept walking. She didn’t care that she cried openly, she didn’t care where she was going. She just wanted to go away from all the pain and disappointment. She couldn’t believe that Felix knew all along whom her mother was, he knew of her obsession with Amber when she was younger and he never said a word why? She asked as she angrily wiped tears from her eyes. She should go back and demand an explanation. Then she stopped, she remembered something else, her bank liquidating leaves her with no money, how could that happen with all the CBN policies? All that she ever worked hard for, what was the point in going on with this life? She lost Uche, lost her life earnings, lost Felix trust. There was no point in any of these anymore. The horn blaring at her brought her to the awareness of her surroundings. What was she going to do? She asked herself. Who would she go to?
Of all that had happened to her, she thought she could be able to help at least one of them, she would go ahead with her exhibition. She had done almost everything, she just needed little money to pay the models and host her guests after the show. They were already expecting some kind of party. But she knew deep inside her heart that there was no way she was going to go ahead and have an exhibition without money in her bank account. She needed to go home first of all and consider her options. She could get help from Amber, she thought. It was the least she could do for her after all these years but she stifled that idea before it could take hold. She could go to Uche, she considered, not an option, she said to herself. Uche hated her now and would only laugh at her.
Another horn blared behind her and she decided to go home and rest. She was not going to achieve anything by getting herself killed. A car stopped beside her and she heard Felix call her name. Nma refused to listen and kept walking.
“Nma, please I can explain” Felix called
Nma could hear Uche saying the same words to her a few days back. Why do people always say that when they have betrayed you, what was there to explain? She asked herself. He knew who her mother was all these years and he never said anything. No she didn’t want to hear anything from him. Except one thing, she stopped and she turned to Felix, dashed her tears away. “Why Felix”
“Come in and I will explain”
“Explain, what is there to explain?” she asked bitterly
“There might not be much for me to explain to you but I can hardly do the little there is on the road”
Her curiosity won her bitterness and she heaved a sigh and got in into his car.

“Together, we will find away, just pull yourself together and I will drive you home” offered Felix softly.
She ignored him as he started the car; she was not going to give him the satisfaction accusing him of betrayal. She would never ever speak to him again, she vowed. She didn’t want an explanation concerning the woman who abandoned her, either from her or Felix. She was not going to talk about it. As far as she was concerned her mother was dead and that was all she would accept. All that mattered to her now was her business. She still had an exhibition and she needed money. Money thanks to the mighty united bank she didn’t have any more. But no matter what she was going to have her exhibition no matter what it took. She couldn’t lose Uche, loose Felix over two heartless women and then lose her business too. At least in her business she had a measure of control.
“My exhibition is in six days” she muttered quietly just to know what Felix thought.
It wasn’t what Felix was expecting; he thought the first thing she would want to talk about would be her mother or the bank. Maybe she wasn’t ready to face those facts yet so he would oblige her. An exhibition was something they shouldn’t talk about now, he thought. The money could be put into making sure that Nma doesn’t go under. But he knew Nma, no matter what he said now; she would not change her mind, once she got that look on her face. But he had to try.
“Nma we need to spend wisely now, I don’t know if we can afford this exhibition”
“No way, you know how important it is to me that we hold a fashion show”
“I know, it is just that the situation we are in now is very tricky”
“Nothing is going to stop me, even if I have to borrow!” she swore
“Let us not make any rash decisions now, let us go home and think then we can talk tomorrow with a clear head”
 “What did I ever do to deserve this?”
“I am sorry” he knew she would not welcome his comfort now so he kept his distance.
 “What happened to United Bank?”
“According to the sketches of news I have been getting the people who acquired them failed the deadline for the recapitalization CBN demanded after their rescue but they are court and…”
“Will they ever pay back?”
“They said they would, but that would be when they sort out themselves with CBN but I know it won’t be long
 “But they would never, I know these bank people they will never say a word about closing down to their customers until they go down and the poor customers will hear it over the news” She said angrily
“I am sure they will pay all their customers but the question is when”
 “I feel like I am being punished for something” said Nma sadly
“Come on don’t blame yourself, it is not your fault”
“I will never put my money in a bank again” she swore vehemently.
Felix chuckled softly but kept quiet, he was thinking of what to do to save the situation, they were in a desperate situation and for that reason they require a desperate measure. Nma talked about borrowing but he only knew how impossible that was. She didn’t have any collateral for the kind of money she would need. He thought ruefully. He had initially thought that Uche Okoha would be the answer but now… why was it that when things started going bad it went all the way from bad to worse. Why did Uche choose this time to mess up and why did United Bank choose now to liquidate …. These questions he didn’t have an answer for. He didn’t know what happened between Uche and Nma but he knew Nma would not walk out on the man she loved with all heart so the fault must be from Uche. He knew all along that Uche was going to hurt her, he thought angrily. There was only one solution and that was going to Amber. He took a tentative look at Nma and thought against offering the solution. Her mother was the last person she would accept any help from now but he had to try somehow. It was strange and somehow scary that she was not asking or talking about her. He was sure that psychologist would have a name for it. She was in denial and that he thought was not healthy but he was no professional and therefore knew not how to approach it.
“About your mother Nma I can explain” he waited for her reaction.
“I have no mother” she said very quietly
Felix felt the chill run down his spine, he knew what ever was happening to her was wrong very wrong. But he smiled at her
Nma was equally lost in her own thoughts. It was different from what Felix was thinking, she had decided to borrow with her house as collateral but who to borrow from kept eluding her, she didn’t know who would be able to lend her money with very little interest rate. Uche’s name came readily to her mind but she dismissed it immediately. It was not as if he would turn his back on her, but he had been talking about revenge and he might see this as an opportunity to take his revenge, she thought. Yet her mind kept telling her to go him but she stilled her mind from going to that direction.  Uche had been waiting for when she would come back to him begging but this was different she thought. This would be like a business deal, whatever the form was, begging was begging. She told herself firmly. If only there was another person to turn to, she thought. Eva’s name cropped up in her mind. But Eva was out of the country and not yet expected back so that counted her out. Ken, she remembered. Ken worked in a bank and he might be able to help. But she knew without being told that he wouldn’t, he would take pleasure in laughing at her and reminding her of Mr. Billionaire, she thought. Who then? She asked herself. Your mother, her mind muttered but she refused to listen. Financial institution would take a long time and time was one thing she didn’t have. Money lenders might be her answer but their interest would be so big that she might never be able to pay back. That left only Uche on her mind. She heaved a sigh. She was not going to make any rash decision like Felix advised. She was going to have a good rest and think this through. She told herself calmly.
“Here we are” said Felix cheerfully
“I will see you tomorrow and don’t think too much. Every problem has a solution and don’t do anything without consulting me first”
“Okay” Nma agreed softly, getting out of the car.
As soon as she let herself into the house, she went straight to her bed room, pulled off her clothes and climbed under the sheets. She was determined not to think until she got a good rest.  She stilled her mind from wondering and closed her eyes. But sleep eluded her she kept looking at the poster of Amber on her wall. She got up from the bed and tore it down. Rumpled it and threw it in the waste paper basket. She went back to bed again, determined not to think of Uche, her mother or her money

Nma woke up at the sound of the birds singing, it was dawn and she stared at the window. It was a beautiful dawn and the rising sun was splendid but she turned a blind eye to it all and got up from the bed in her lacey under wears.
“I slept round the clock” she muttered in surprise and mild disgust.  It was as if the turmoil inside her got better of her and her body decided to take a rest whether she wanted or not. She moved to bathroom. She had a refreshing shower and dressed in dark blue skirt suit and pulled her hair tightly behind her enhancing her hazel eyes.
When she was set to go, she searched for her car keys where she usually kept them and didn’t find them, alarmed she started to look for it furiously, at the back of her mind was a friend mentioning that bad things came in threesome. She didn’t want the missing car keys to be the number three. Then it dawned her that her car was at the shop and so also would be her car keys. She heaved a sigh of relief and actually laughed at her thoughts. But she was not in the right frame of mind to take a cab. She walked into the living room and glanced at her watch impatiently.
“I could as well have breakfast” she told herself but the thought of food was the last thing on her mind. She could only think about her plans and she couldn’t wait to act on them She must have her exhibition on Saturday come rain come shine, she vowed. Immediately she heard the sounds of cars driving in and she ran to the window to see. She saw two cars, one was Felix and the other her own and she smiled. This was a miracle; she thought and hurried to open the door before they could knock. And she was touched by Tessy puffed up eyes. She had been crying for her.
“Oh Nma! I just heard” she cried pulling her into her arms. Nma embraced her, receiving her comfort gratefully before moving out of the way to let them in. Nma sat down and Tessy sat beside her sniffling softly while Felix hovered over them.
“I couldn’t believe it when I heard” sobbed Tessy “How could Uche have done this kind of thing?”
It was difficult to know who needed consoling between the two of them, Nma thought. Tessy was sobbing uncontrollably that she had put her hands around her to console her.
“Cut it out Tessy” Felix roared “It is Nma who needs comforting, not you”
“I’m sorry” she said to Nma “But it is all so painful when I think there will be no wedding”
Nma wanted to laugh, for Tessy her break up with Uche was the tragedy and losing all her money didn’t come into play.
Tessy had already learnt from her husband that Nma was in denial about her mother so she thought it would be best not to talk about it now. To her loosing Uche was more brutal, Nma was like a daughter to her, and she had planned on enjoying every bit of planning her wedding like she would her own daughter. If only Felix had allowed her to come to see Nma last night, she thought, she had a perfect solution for all her problem.
“I wanted to come last night when I heard but Felix wouldn’t let me” she complained looking at her husband angrily.
“He was right, I was dead to the world then” said Nma trying to sound cheerful.
“But I knew how painful it would have been for you to stay here alone; you are supposed to be surrounded by family”
“I will survive Tessy, I am a survivor and moreover this is just a trial, it will come to an end” she smiled
“But you two will make up again, what really happened?” Tessy asked even as her husband frowned at her.
Nma sighed; she didn’t want to talk about Uche or making up with him especially not this morning.
“It is over for good Tessy”.
“Tessy!” Felix cut in sharply. “I am sure Nma has more important things pressing on her mind”
Nma smiled gratefully at Felix preparing her speech.
“But she loves him and still does. She would have been a very happy woman with him. I mean what could be more important than that. Money can come and go easily but when one looses a true love, she loses a part of herself forever”
“If Uche’s love was true, he wouldn’t have cheated on me” replied Nma
“Cheated on you!” the two of them turned to look at her.
“With Angela, look I don’t want to talk about this now, like Felix rightly said, I have more pressing things on my mind”
“From all you told me about that lying scoundrel Angela, I believe there is no length she wouldn’t have gone to have him and he is only a man”
 “We are not here to resolve the issue between Nma and Uche and I don’t think now is the time”
“Felix I have a plan” Nma interjected quickly before Tessy could say anything more.
“What plan?”
“I am going to borrow some money with my house”
“You cannot do that? Said Felix
“Why Felix, it seems the only choice we have. All I want to know is where I can borrow with a considerably low interest rate”
“I would say that is where Uche Okoha comes in” said Tessy. “I mean Finance houses would take too long and they are very risky, if you don’t pay back at the stipulated time, the house is gone. Money lenders, double risky their interest rates are as high as Kilimanjaro but Uche wouldn’t ask for any interest at all”
“Tessy please let us talk about this first before solution” her husband said exasperated.
“You can’t borrow with this house, I know that deep inside you don’t want to and I have no reason except that you might end up losing the house, I know how proud your father was of it”
“Felix let me take the risk, as you can see I am penniless so what is the use of owning a property, is it not to fall back on it in the times of trouble” asked Nma reasonably
“Yes it is but this one is out of question”
“Why? Give me a good reason or I am going ahead with my plans” Nma threatened.
Felix stood up confused, how was he going to tell her? He asked himself. He couldn’t do this, not after Amber and the way she reacted. She might be pretending that she didn’t overhear their conversation but he knew she was still in shock. This one might take her over the board and moreover he promised her father that he would never to let her feel the heat of it. He turned to face her
“Out with it Felix! It is another bad news isn’t it? Don’t worry; I have been expecting bad news number three. What could be worse than losing your love and all your money?
“Oh my!” Tessy exclaimed “I totally forgot” she said getting a hard stare from her husband.
“This house is already on mortgage” announced Felix sitting down.
“It can’t be? When? Who mortgaged it Felix?
“Your father did?”
“Daddy did?” she asked confused “How come he never told me?”
Nma didn’t want to believe it but Felix would not lie to her, she thought. Oh he would she accepted, he had been lying about Amber, lying to her all these years she thought. Anyway she had more pressing issues to worry about now and Amber was not one of them.
“He was very sorry to die without offsetting the debt and you were too young then, so he made me promise never to tell you”
“How could he have done such a thing and why did you agree? Who did you expect to pay back the debt? Cried Nma “How did you expect me to pay back a debt I don’t know about? Or was the debt supposed to pay back itself”
“He made me also promise to pay it back and I agreed” replied Felix.
“How could you have agreed? She asked perplexed and almost close to tears with frustration. “Where were you going to get the money? By stealing?” she asked hysterically.
“I had some money” he said quietly “I could have easily paid off the debt”
Nma was confused, Felix wasn’t making any sense.
“But you didn’t” she stated the obvious
“I have been paying it as best as I could and I have a trust that could have opened to me by next week but with the bank failure, I am not sure”
Nma immediately became contrite, she has been so engrossed in my own troubles and she didn’t stop to think about his! Oh no! This whole thing was becoming too much. She sobbed and she felt Tessy’s comforting hands around her.
“And if something is not done fast enough, we would lose the house”
“Not another one Felix please!” she looked up pleading with her wonderful eyes.
“The people wrote me last month informing me that they would take over by next week Wednesday if we didn’t pay up but I didn’t bat an eyelid because I thought I would have paid up with the trust but now I am very confused”
“Uche is the answer, I am not asking you to make up with him, only ask for help at least for the house. You know you can move in with us but I know you will not be happy loosing this house” said Tessy anxiously
Nma willed herself to stop crying, crying wouldn’t solve any problem.
“Your mother could help” Felix couldn’t believe he said that to her and they waited to hear her reaction
“My mother left when I was baby, it would be impossible to ask her”
“It is time you accept the fact that your mother is back”
“I am sure I would be shouting for Joy soon if that is the case”
“She was never really far Nma, I don’t know if I should say this, but it was her who helped start up NMA in the first place”
Nma whirled around to look at him, her eyes filled with shock, then livid with anger.
“The money you said a friend helped you raise”
“I went to her, when there was nowhere else to turn”
Nma quietly sat down “Tessy, did you know that she was my mother?”
Tessy hesitated for some time “Yes I knew and we tried to tell you but it was never really easy…”
“You said she was never really far, how near was she?”
“I am sure it would be better to talk to her and let her tell you, only she is in the best position to explain herself”
“I trusted the two of you with my life, how could you lie to me about something like this”
Tessy stood up to go her but she swayed and nearly fell but her husband caught her. Nma looked up alarmed
“Are you alright?”
“Tessy is pregnant” said Felix angrily
Tessy looked at him, hurt at the tone of his voice “Felix this is not the baby’s fault”
“I am sorry darling, I didn’t mean to sound like it is but it is just that a man has got let his frustration out somehow”
“You are pregnant?” asked Nma “At least there is one good news” with all that had happened, she was genuinely happy for Tessy and Felix. For years they have waited to have a baby of their own. It was so painful because she knew if anyone deserved to be a mother, it was Tessy. She would never abandon her child.
Nma smiled at Tessy It would be great to have a baby around. I am sure I will make a great aunt”
“I don’t know how great it is going to be with the loss of money and everything that is happening”
Then it dawned on Nma how much she needed help. It was not just for her but for this couple who had always been there for her. She felt that even with all had happened to her that it was still up to her help them. And For the first time she seriously considered going to Uche for help.
“Come on, things would be better by the time the baby is born” Nma assured her.
The three of them grew quiet each lost their thought.
What do I do to help, Nma asked herself silently. How was she going to save her house, have her fashion show and turn things around by the time Tessy’s baby comes? Uche Okoha still remained the only answer in her mind. But how was she going to go to him after all that had happened between them. He might just turn his back on her using that as his revenge. This was not going to be easy, she sighed. If only Felix didn’t lose his money now that Tessy was pregnant for the first time. This was a baby they have waited so long to have. Without Tessy’s condition, she would have managed just fine without going to Uche for help. She looked at them, looking very worried. This couple gave her more than their love and it was her turn to help them, she wasn’t going to let her pride stand in the way of helping them.
Yes Uche Okoha was the answer, she agreed. He should help her for old time sake, after all he was known as a very generous and kind man. She was sure that that when she told him of her predicament, he would surely help her, she thought with faith. If only Eva was at home, she would have gone to her instead but the amount of money she was looking for was something you might find difficult to ask from a woman. Uche was the only answer, because she would rather die than ask Amber for help.
Tessy’s sigh cut into her thoughts and she glanced her way. Without a second thought, she made up her mind to see Uche that same day. This was her family, she thought,
“There was no shame in taking care of your own” she concluded
“I think we should leave now and don’t worry, don’t think too much. I will find a solution somehow”
She smiled at them “The same goes for you and Tessy, don’t you dare worry about the baby” she told her. “Things will turn around for the better soon. This baby is going to be the luckiest baby ever” she assured Tessy.
“I have faith” Tessy said “Trials are God’s way of knowing if we are prepared for the next level of blessings he has in store for us. It is you I am worried about” they hugged each other.
“I have made up my mind to meet Uche,  not to make up with him but to solicit for help, so don’t get your romantic mind up” she teased her.
“It is a beginning” smiled Tessy unrepentant.

As soon as they left, she returned back to her bedroom to change out of the clothes she was wearing because it was all squeezed up. She walked into her closet looking through her dresses. She was confused, she wanted to wear something that would not be suggestive, something businesslike and at the same time, she wanted to look beautiful and dazzle him, she sighed.
“I am not going to dress up for him” she told herself firmly. She selected a deep red twelve pieces knee length skirt, which hugged her well rounded hips and flayed at her knees; she topped it with a black fitted shirt.  She took down her bold red belt and belted it on her waist and it emphasized her tiny waist. She wore high heel black shoes, and took her black bag. She changed her accessories to red. And let her hair flow, the way Uche liked them. Then she knelt down and prayed for God to soften Uche’s heart. She took another look at herself in the mirror and left.
For a few minutes, she just sat in her car and watched her house with deep emotions. This was her house; all her memories from childhood to adulthood, the good, happy and sad ones are rooted in this house.
“I can’t lose this house” she muttered, “I won’t” she repeated firmly. With that she started the car and reversed smoothly into the road. Where would Uche be now? She asked and it just dawned on her that she didn’t know exactly where to look for him. If she was lucky; she could catch him at home. But she thought better of it for so many reasons; she didn’t want to face that wicked house keeper again. Just for today, she didn’t want to be reminded of his betrayal. She could call his phone but what if he rejected her call? She decided to go the famous Okoha house. She had never been to his work place before but she was sure there wouldn’t be any difficulty locating it. The place happened to be popular. And some have turned it into a tourist centre because of the famous sculpture in front of the building.

Okoha house was a white splendid beauty, one of the tallest buildings in the area and the most expensively built.  She drove through its gates; she understood why tourist couldn’t resist crowding the area and taking pictures. The architecture could rival with that of the British palace. “They should have called it Okoha palace or castle” she mused. The word House seemed such a bore for a building as magnificent as this. She drove till she got to the building and she lost her breath. And it was not just the beautiful exotic flowers well kempt that softened the otherwise hard features of the building that caught her eyes. The culprit sat in the middle of the vast compound just before the entrance to the building proud and beautiful. It was a large fountain; it was not really the size of it that made it spectacular but the statues around it. Just behind the fountain and a bit raised up was the statue of a man in a robe with long bears. He was pouring water into the fountain with an earthen pot; he looked satisfied and happy pouring the water. Below the man and around the fountain were other statues, they were fetching water with earthen pot from the fountain while a few were scooping with their hands. They were people of all ages and sizes.  Nma stood there gazing with her mouth agape. The click of camera brought her back to reality and she straightened her shoulders.
“No wonder” she muttered. The place attracted tourist. She turned and found out she wasn’t the only one watching. One significant thing about the statues was the attire of those fetching, it signified different races of the world, the one pouring the water must be God, the others represented the different people all over the world, she reasoned. So the fountain meant, no matter what race or tribe you are from, we all draw from one Supreme Source, God. She smiled with appreciation for the art, happy with herself for her accurate interpretation.
Then she remembered her mission and she whirled around, walking briskly to the building. It was a bit difficult getting the security men at the gate leading to the building to let her in, not until she told them she was Uche’s fiancée Nma. As she walked to the building, she scolded herself for forgetting her mission here for a moment. How could she have forgotten her problems with one gaze at the art, she shook her head in self pity as she hurried forward. Just because of a wonderful work of a highly creative artist? She asked herself with disgust and she forgot she was heavy laden. Though she couldn’t deny the art was wonderful and it relaxed her anxious and restive mind. Kudos to the artist, whoever he was, she praised silently as she stopped in front of the smart receptionist. The whole reception looked like that of five star hotel friendly and inviting.
“Good morning” the girl greeted eagerly with smiles
“Good Morning” Nma responded
“I take it you are looking for Mr. Okoha” said the girl jovially
More surprised Nma responded “you’re right but how did you know?”
“I know you, all my clothes are NMA and I see you most times when I come to shop”
Nma smiled recognizing the deep pink African print she had sewn in a corporate pencil skirt with deep pink linen fitted shirts.
“It’s nice to meet someone who appreciates what I do” she smiled at the girl. “You look different, who said African prints are just for bubu” she teased the girl. Still aware that the girl somehow didn’t give the correct answer to her question but she didn’t want to press.
“Which floor is Mr. Okoha?”
“Pent house” the girl answered
“Thank you!” Nma began to leave.
“So when is the wedding? The girl asked smiling
Slowly Nma turned around and walked back to the girl, she was going ask.
“How did you know?” asked Nma
“You don’t think I can afford your labels on receptionist salary? Mr. Okoha pays well enough but a girl has other problems other than clothes”
Nma stared at the girl dumbfounded and wondering what the girl was going to tell her and silently asking her to be fast about it so she could go about her own business.
“One thing about working here” the girl continued cutting into her thoughts “You get to meet very important people and Mr. Okoha very rich friend happens to be interested in me” she whispered mischievously “That is how I know and I am about the only person who knows”
Not for long Nma thought, the girl was a talkative; this kind could tell her life history without being asked. He hoped Uche’s friend didn’t confide in her.
“What’s the name?”  Nma asked
“Ijeoma but call me IJ”
“When you come to shop next time, please take some time to stop and say hi. It was refreshing talking to you”
“That I will do” she responded
And Nma walked away towards the elevator wondering what she would see next, first the magnificent art, the happy parrot of a girl, so what next? She asked as the elevator glided up. She wondered if God was using all these to reduce the blow of Uche’s refusal. “O ye of little faith” she murmured resolving to have more faith.
The door opened and she stepped into a Spartan marbled hall way, there were some green plants, she was sure it was somebody’s efforts to make it look more friendly. She walked trying not to make noise with her heels. She was beginning to understand the class of the man she was going to marry. The hall way led straight to an office and she entered and met the icy glare of a woman sitting behind the desk. The woman wore a smart cream color trouser suit, she blended with walls, Nma thought.
“Good morning” Nma greeted “I would like to see Uche please”
“Uche?” the woman asked raising one well manicured eyebrow.
“Mr. Okoha” Nma repeated realizing her mistake and wondering what was wrong with the woman.
“Are you on appointment?” the woman asked looking at her as she would an irritating house fly.
“No but if you would tell him Nma is here to see him, I am sure he would see me”
“I am sorry but you need appointment, just fill out this form and I’ll see when it is likely for you see him”
Nma stared at the woman furiously she was fuming inside her; the woman could as well have asked her to buy a ticket. Nma had never felt this insulted especially by a mere look. The woman implied she was just one of those girls who had nothing better to do than run after rich men. She sighed, she was probably right; after all it was Uche’s money that brought here today.
“Look I don’t think it would cause you anything to just tell him I’m here” she told the woman politely. She thought of calling Uche’s mobile phone but she was scared he wouldn’t pick. It was better to barge in on him.
“Mr. Okoha is fully booked, too busy to attend to you” she said with emphasis on the “you”
Nma smiled, she was determined to see Uche even if she was going to push her way through. “Just tell him and if he says he doesn’t want to see me, it would save both of us the trouble of having to book an appointment” she couldn’t believe it, Uche whom she could see so freely, who came to her office and dotted around her like she was the centre of his world. How ironic could life become? She saw the woman pick up her intercom and spoke into it. She looked up and Nma turned to her
“What did you say name was?” she asked
“Nma” Nma muttered curtly. Women! She fumed why do they always feel threatened by another woman?
“He’ll see you now” the woman said through tight lips.


Hello dearest! This chapter and on coming one were quite exciting to write. Hope u enjoy it as I did.

Plz don't forget to subscribe or follow the blog and pls don't just read and go. Don't enjoy alone
 Spread the news, share with friends 

No comments:

Post a Comment