Friday 14 November 2014

Amber Romance

When The Heart Knows

Chapter twenty three


“Sorry I’m late” Uche said as soon as she opened the door.
“No problem, come in”
Uche came in stopped short as he saw Mike relaxing on a cushion.
“Hi! We meet again” greeted Mike with smiles.
Uche ignored him and turned to Nma in anger. “What is he doing here?”
“He just came to visit” she answered
He turned back to Mike with a glare “Look Mr. whatever your name is, I have had a hard and long day and all I want is some quiet and peace with my fiancée. If you will please leave before I throw you out and never dream of coming back here”
“Mike is like family to Felix”
“Sorry honey but I am not in the mood for a family get together right now”
“Oh! Don’t worry, I will just leave” Mike interjected standing up “But think about what I told you, you are an independent woman, don’t let anybody push you around” with that he left.
“I hope you are now satisfied with yourself and your action” she fumed
“I was only trying to save you from him” he told her quietly.
“What makes you think I needed any saving from him, if there is anybody I need to be saved from, it is you?”
“Now listen, I can smell his kind from a distance, they are sulkers for rich women. Have you told him about your bankruptcy?
She stared at him blankly
“I guess you haven’t but tell him and see if you will see him anywhere around you again”
“Yet you didn’t have to be so impolite” she censured calmly
“I did not come here to discuss Solomon or David or whatever his name is, I came to see you” he interjected. He drew her into his hands and gave her a good kiss.
“What’s cooking?” he asked when he let her go “I am really hungry” he continued sniffling the air.
“I made dinner, nothing really that much but you can stay if you want to” replied nervously
Uche walked to the dinning table and started opening dishes. “You call this nothing much. You cooked for two, me or David?
“I was expecting you, do the math”
“I am flattered and lucky that David didn’t talk you into giving him my share” he said mockingly
“Are you implying I am hare brained?”
“Not in the least way, but that looks like what David would do”
“His name is Mike! Don’t tell me you are suffering lapses in your memory”
“I seem to remember something dinner or that you made one”
She smiled tiredly, it was no use arguing with the man, he was so impossible when he wanted to, she thought.
“I made dinner” she began to rearrange the dishes nervously
“Leave the dishes as they are, you are not nervous are you? I have eaten your food before and I remember I gave a good verdict”
“I am not nervous” she snapped at him and sat down, she opened one of the dishes, revealing the contents
“Wow! Am I hungry for this?” he whistled. “Have you told Felix that we are back together?”
“Yes I have”
“I take it he wasn’t overjoyed over it”
“Everyone is not supposed to like you and not when you have given them little reason to do so”
“I guess you are right… I also talked to him” he told her
She looked up startled “I see”
“He told me about your mother”
“So he did”
“Now I see what he was worried about, I guess you are still in shock realizing she is really your mother after years of idolizing her”
“I am not in shock; it is just that I am so used to not having a mother that I don’t care for one now”
“She is your mother; it is never too late…”
“And it is my business, please if you have nothing else to discuss, I would love to catch up on much needed sleep”
“Felix agreed to stand with us on Friday.”
“For what?” then understanding dawned on her. The man was moving too fast for her.
“You are not paying attention”
” Nma asked alarmed. “Which Friday?”
“This coming Friday to be precise” he enlightened her eating cheerfully, he was enjoying her reaction it was just as he had imagined.
“You can’t be serious! I have my exhibition on Saturday!” she shouted at him.
“I am not asking you to stop your exhibition now, am I?”
“It is not possible; I don’t have the time…”
“You had best make the time or I will withdraw my help”
“Uche you can’t do this to me, I have things that can’t be cancelled. This exhibition means so much to me. Don’t you care that it does?”
“We are going to get married on Friday and it is very simple what you would do, find something appropriate to wear, a car will be sent to pick you. We will have a small reception at my house afterwards. Your things mostly your clothes would be moved by Friday morning. It is very simple and you have the rest of Saturday for your exhibition”
Calm down, calm down, she cautioned herself. This was not the time to disagree with him. She needed him more now than he did her. “Tessy will be thrilled, but I can’t say for Felix” she was sure he must be surprised at how calm she was taking it all, she thought. There was no need to protest anymore, he had the upper hand and he knew it.
“So it is clear, we have an understanding, you will still have your exhibition on Saturday. The only difference is that you’d be going from my house as Mrs. Okoha”
“Well understood” she replied calmly “I only have one question” she stared him firmly.
“Fair enough, what is the question?”
“Why the rush?” she asked
“One day I believe I’ll let you know” he answered dropping his fork and knife and wiped his mouth.
Nma who had been finding it difficult to eat got an excuse to stop eating and stood up with him.
“I will give you a call tomorrow to finalize things” Uche said kissing her softly and started towards the door.

They had a quiet wedding at the registry; it was as quiet she had imagined it would be, even though the whole Okoha clan was present except for Eva. Nma couldn’t believe it as people called her Mrs. Okoha, the name felt so strange to her but in her mind she adored the name. It had been the name she had dreamed of bearing ever since she met Uche. She stared at him as he held her, guiding her out of the court house where Felix and Tessy had stood as witnesses. Her husband, she thought awed. It was so hard to believe. Then again if only they were happy like they used to be, if only this wasn’t a business arrangement. How ironic that their wedding day came and went like that after all they had planned, A mere business deal, she thought but she was yet to know what he was gaining from it. What was he gaining from the deal, then she remembered, just so that it won’t be said that Nma dumped the formidable Uche Okoha.
She blinked as they came out in the open. She was greatly astonished by the reporters fluttering around them and asking them questions. She felt Uche’s hands tighten around her and he ignored their questions and shielded her from the reporters into the waiting Cadillac stretch limousine as if it was an everyday experience for him. It must be an everyday experience, she thought. After all he was Uche Okoha, the richest and most eligible bachelor in town.
“Are you okay?” he asked her concerned as they settled inside the limo.
“Yes I think so, how…. And where did they all come from?”
“News must have gotten out that the notorious play boy Uche Okoha is getting married to Nma of Nma collection”
“For a minute there I thought it was the beginning of third world war”
Uche laughed and looked out of the window. “You are going the wrong way Jacob” he said.
Nma noticed then that they were not heading towards Uche’s house.
“Acting on instructions my boy” the driver told him cheerfully
“On whose instruction?” he asked angry
“Your mother’s instruction and remember I don’t work for you so I take orders from her alone”
“Jacob I know you don’t work for me but this is not my mother’s wedding and I have planned a small reception at my house. You turn the car around now before I lose my temper”
Nma watched the man laugh heartily “I assure you boy, there has been a change in plans”
Nma was confused and felt that there was more to the relationship between Uche and this man; he didn’t jump at the sound of his voice like the others did.
Uche knew he was not going to get Jacob to turn the car around. If there was anybody who didn’t jump at his orders, it was Jacob. And he didn’t demand it, not when the man had been with the family longer than he could remember. He was there in his boyhood, teaching him all the tricks, it was Jacob who thought him to drive, and he smiled. It was very clever of his mother to ask him to do her dirty job. She knew very well that only Jacob could get away with this. “Sorry honey” he turned to Nma “My mother has decided to do things her own way”
“No problem, I just wonder what her plans are”
“I hope she didn’t invite the whole town because if she did I am going to give her a piece of my mind”
Nma smiled understanding how Rose must have felt.  Uche is her only son and there was no way she was going to allow her only son to have a mushroom wedding just in the name of peace. As the huge car glided to a stop and they came down, Uche still needed make way so they could walk into the hall without bumping into the reporters. In the hall, there were already more than sixty guest drinking wine and talking in small groups. Uche stopped, looking at them with irritation. “I am going to have my mom’s head for this”
“Just let the woman enjoy her only son’s wedding, it is her right for bringing you up well” Nma said smiling as Rose came towards them.
“Why are the two of you standing around like statues? It is your wedding for crying out loud” Rose commented as she came towards them. “If I had known about this, I wouldn’t have let you wear this today” she told Nma smiling
“The wedding was sudden” she smiled at her and looked at her wedding attire, a simple white gown that stopped at her knees. It was a last minute creation. The satin clung to her body enhancing her perfect curves and fishing out on her knees. It had a wide neck and simple sleeves that perched on her shoulders. It was the best she could do at such short notice with all the other things she had to do. She looked up as Uche addressed his mother
“What is the meaning of this?” he asked angrily
“What are you talking about?” Rose asked faming ignorance.
“This whole crowd you invited here”
“What’s eating you up? Even on your wedding day, I can’t believe it! Angry at your mother on your wedding day of all days?
Nma wanted to laugh at the astonished look on Uche’s face “what are you talking about?” he asked puzzled
“It is your wedding day and you are standing around like a guest and frowning at everybody who glances your way. You have a beautiful bride at your side but you are not smiling down at her or kissing her!”  She told him firmly and smiled mockingly “Rather you are angry at your mother for trying to help. You should have known that there was no way I would allow my son to wed like a pauper”
Nma couldn’t help it anymore she began to laugh, very clever of Rose, she managed to heap the whole blame on Uche
“One day mom I am going to get through to you”


 She was amazed and glad that things turned out the way they did. A wedding was a once in a life time thing, and should be celebrated to the fullest. She liked the whole idea, even though their marriage was not going to last because as soon as Uche was done salvaging his lost pride, he would not have need for her again. Yet she was grateful to Rose for making this day a day to remember. The day she got married for a while to the man she loved. That was exactly how she was going remember it.
“Lost, are you?” Uche asked and she looked
“Just tired” she replied
“Would you like to sit for a while?”
“If you don’t mind” she smiled at him.
Uche led her to the seat arranged for them. “Are we not supposed to wait till we are called up?
He sighs. “I don’t know how these things are done and everybody is staying away till I have gotten a firm grip on my famous temper”
Nma said nothing wondered what was going on, they should be taking pictures. Pictures were supposed to be first thing to be done. She sighed tired, if this was a real wedding, or if she at least felt like it was her wedding, she would have commented on the lapse. She was sure the guests felt more at home than she did in her own wedding.
“Uche the photographers have been waiting for ages” one of Uche’s aunts said in an American ascent.
“What photographers?” he snapped at her
“Well honey there is something called a wedding album” she snapped right back
Uche stood up reluctantly and they walked outside to take pictures. There were more reporters than there were photographers and she forced herself to smile and look the happy bride picture she was supposed to paint for everyone to see as cameras flashed before them. The only true smile came to her face when Felix and Tessy stood with them to take a picture, again she realized how satisfied she was with the decision she made. The group went back to the hall and the party began then. The reception made up for the glamour that was lacking in the wedding ceremony. She began to enjoy herself despite her inner turmoil. Everyone who was prominent in the country attended the wedding and this Nma didn’t expect, not with the short notice and they all commented on her beauty and Uche’s wise choice. When it was time to dance, she sighed and relaxed in her husband’s arms as they danced to the instrumental of one of west life songs played by a live band. They painted a picture of what people read in fairy tale stories, she in her white gown and him in his dark suit. Soon the band changed into something faster and other people joined.
Nma begged to sit down after a while and she also yearned some time alone to think. Yes she was a married woman but she knew that was hardly the end of the story. She turned to Uche with huge smile.
“I would love to go to the ladies for a while” she whispered
She saw him looking at her as if trying to sniff out the real reason why she wanted to leave but she was unwavering in her smile.
“That would be second floor; I keep it especially for my guest”
She turned to look at him with surprise.
“My family owns this place” he told her
“I will be back shortly” she told him
“Take your time” he told her as she left.

From the door of the well furnished room, all she could feel was that the interior decorator must be very practical minded. It was a room meant to house business associates visiting from far places that was what he or she did.  She wrapped her hands around herself, thinking how far she had come since the first day she met Uche Okoha, she had fallen hopelessly in love with him, lost that love and trust, she had nearly lost her business and he came to her rescue, she was now married to him. She laughed sadly, forced to marry him was more like it and the most painful part was that it was not a real marriage. It was a marriage that would end when he got tired of her body. Maybe there was a way after all, maybe if she denied him her body, the marriage would last until they could rebuild their love for each other again. She laughed sadly again, who was she kidding? Uche would never agree to wait not after waiting this long. Maybe if she was wise she could be so good to him that he would never think of leaving her. Still she felt the only way was to make sure he didn’t get his hands on her body. She was sure that would prolong his getting tired of her.
From the corner of her eyes she saw Helen below, sitting all by herself. Then she also saw Chucks standing almost in front her and if not that he was surrounded by other girls, it would have been easy for him to notice the quiet beauty sitting before him. Nma smiled, she promised Helen she was going to get her an introduction and that she would do. She turned swiftly from the from the window to do just that, smiling and devising a means to achieve what she was going to do. But she stopped and the smile left her face, standing at the door and quietly looking at her was Amber.
“I am sorry” Amber began “I didn’t mean to disturb you”
“You didn’t” Nma replied meaning to walk past her.
“Nma…” Amber called but trailed off, it was obvious that the woman didn’t know what to say and Nma vowed she was not going to help her, if the woman didn’t know what to say to her daughter then it was nobody’s fault but hers.
“If you will please excuse I have to rejoin the ceremony” Nma nearly got to the door before her mother’s next words stopped her.
“I don’t deserve to be forgiven or to be called anyone’s mother so I am not going to insult you by asking for either but I just want to ask that you hear my own side of the story”
Nma could feel her temper rising at the woman’s arrogance.
“Like you said I do not owe you anything, and I already know your side of the story, you left your eight months old baby to build your dreams. When your chose Amber I wasn’t given a choice or consideration so tell me why should I accord you the same?”  She asked harshly
“No matter how you look at it, I gave you life and believe it or not I have looked out for you. I never forgot that I had a child but I can’t deny that I have been selfish and I have always dreaded this day, the day I will have to explain myself”
“One thing is clear, this is not the day. Today is my wedding day”
Nma walked out and continued walking. There was no way she was going to make it easy for her. She gave her life indeed, what type of life was that at eight months when she still needed her.
She ran into Helen as she rejoined the party
“I was beginning to worry” Helen said to her
“I was at the ladies”
“I saw that woman who looks exactly like you go in after you”
“Yes Helen the rumors are true, Body talk is my mother”
“Oh!” for once Helen was speechless
“Close your mouth Helen, here comes Chucks and I think I still owe you an introduction”
Nma watched fascinated as a different kind of shock overcame Helen. She adjusted her clothes self consciously.
“You didn’t really take me seriously Nma, I mean, he came with that beauty queen” Helen said worried
“Don’t worry dear, it is not always about beauty and I can tell you Helen you don’t give yourself much credit”
Helen was very beautiful, she possessed a chocolate complexion and a bone structure every model would have been proud of and she was slim with a good height and fair enough curves for a slim girl. She will do, Nma thought, she looked at the flashy beauty queen in the company of Chuck, the girl with all her pampering didn’t hold a candle to Helen, and she didn’t care if she was biased.
Chucks walked up to them and she could feel Helen become more fidgety with nervousness.
“If this is not the girl that caged my friend” he laughed
“And he is hardly complaining” she threw back at him
“Congratulations! Never thought I would see the day but of course what man wouldn’t pray to shackled if the woman is you”
“Flattery but thanks all the same”
The dratted man looked through her, Helen thought. She could have been one of the decorations for all he noticed. She wanted the ground to open up and swallow her. She didn’t realize Nma was making the introduction till she touched her. Helen managed a smile for the conceited man; she knew what a catch her smile was, let me see you look through that handsome, the smile seemed to say.
Chuck hadn’t noticed the girl or thought to give her a second look till she smiled and her face seemed to come alive, he couldn’t help it, he smiled back.
“I am a big fan yours” she heard herself say and wondered where such sophistication came from.
“Really, I am glad” Chucks returned politely, he felt something pull at his heart, something strong and foreign and was gone immediately before he could truly feel it.
“Actually I was coming to make my excuses, I have to leave now. You know how busy and rough it is going to be for us tomorrow” Helen said surprising herself by such regal sophistication. Before Nma could respond, Helen turned to Chucks, “It was nice meeting you, I hope you would come to the exhibition”
“Wouldn’t dream of missing it”
“Very well if you will excuse me” Helen walked out.
Chucks watched her go and chuckled, “What does she do?”
“We are in the same line of business” she told him, still a bit confused at the new Helen and the drama she had just pulled off. Nma was pleased, she didn’t know if the girl did it on purpose but she had given a challenge to Chucks and Nma was sure that Chucks was intrigued. Nma felt a hand around her waist and she knew it was Uche.
“I thought you have lost your way”
“I was just talking to Chucks” she managed a smile.
Chucks was already being distracted by his beauty queen girl friend.
“I believe we should thank our guests and leave” Uche said
“The party is hardly over” she replied alarmed
“We don’t have to wait for it, I have had enough” he replied and began to lead her out, her heart pounded and she was suddenly very afraid.
Uche thanked the guest for coming on such a short notice, and he wished them safe journey back to their various homes.
Nma waited to throw the flowers at the waiting spinsters. She threw the flower and there was a mad rush for it but Helen raised it up smiling at her. Nma smiled back.
Then the bachelors began to urge Uche to throw her hose at them. She said no to him, shaking her head slightly but he laughed and drew her closer to him. She was very embarrassed as he lifted her gown slightly up.
“Higher! Higher!” they shouted at him
“Sorry guys that’s all the peeping you are getting” he murmured and they were more cheers as he slowly pulled down one of her stockings and threw it at them. They made a rush for it but it landed where Chucks was sitting quietly on his seat, drinking wine and he looked puzzled. Uche began to laugh “I hope I didn’t throw that in vain” he said
“Sure you did, I wasn’t among the aspiring” he smiled at her “Unless the girl who caught the flowers is cute” he said obviously bored
“Sure she is and she is over there” Uche told him
He turned to where Helen was smiling and talking to one of the girls working for Nma. He raised his eyebrows and smiled
“Not the finest one I have ever seen but she is okay” he then laughed and got up to slap Uche at the back. The cheering began again. Nma smiled secretly, her plans for Helen and Chucks seemed as if it was going to work after all. She doubted if Helen knew the first thing to do with a man like Chucks. But it would be fun to wait and see what happens.
“Hope you can tame this untamed gentle man” chucks asked her smiling.
The guy was very handsome, she gave that to him, and the only other man that beat him was her husband
“Are you kidding, that’s what makes him so endearing” she smiled back at him.
“Now that’s a girl to tempt me to the altar” he laughed
Next thing Uche grabbed her hands and made a run for it and rushed into the waiting Rolls Royce that brought Uche to the church and it was only then she found out that it was just Uche’s friends chasing them with rice, flowers and confetti. And she burst out laughing

Hey guys as the beautiful gradually to an I would post next an excerpt what to expect. But don't just read and go. Don't enjoy alone. Read, share and subscribe to the blog. Tell me what you think of the story so far. I would really appreciate your comments


Thanks and be blessed

Chioma

No comments:

Post a Comment