Friday 10 October 2014







AMBER ROMANCE

WHEN THE HEART KNOWS

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The next morning Nma woke up excited, she made some snacks to carry with her. She didn’t have any idea what Uche had in mind but she wanted to be prepared. Having done that, she rushed into her room and wore her black shorts and pink tank top.

When Uche knocked on her door by seven she was more than ready to go wherever he wanted to take her. And the look on his face when she opened the door compensated for the trouble she took to look good, when she had her mouth back,
“Hi sweet heart!” “You look breathtaking” he smiled
“If that’s any consolation, you took my breath away” she returned the compliment as she ushered him inside the house.
He smiled drew her back to his arms “It feels good to know”. He kissed the back of her neck. Nma smiled at him, actually he was looking sinfully handsome but she would rather not tell him that.
“Ready?” he asked
“I think so”
“I hope you brought a swimsuit”
“I’m always prepared, and I guessed I would need it” she turned off the light and began to close the windows. She turned to him “So where exactly are we going?”
“It is a surprise!”
Hm! I like surprises” she cooed following him out.
She picked the basket she had prepared earlier.
“What is this?”
 “Something to munch on our way, since we are missing breakfast”
“Hm!” Uche went to take a look; he couldn’t resist sneaking out a cookie” “Did you make this?”
“Now that would make me a super woman” she laughed and hugged him “But I am learning”
“It is very sexy that you enjoy cooking” he told her as he led her out of the house
Nma stood dumbfounded and stared slick white Porsche,
“Wow guys and their toys”
“No! No! No! This baby here aint no toy at all, she is a chic, a sweet chic”
“Now I am going to be jealous of her” she smiled
“But you know you will always be my first love”
They shared a smile and he opened the door for her.
She turned to him puzzled “where exactly are you taking me?
“Get in the car” he told her firmly, opening her door for him and going round to get in. Nma got into the car and marveled at the bucket seat and high tech interior.
“I figured this will be more suitable for the long ride ahead of us” he said pressing a button to start fire the engine.

The drive out of town had Nma wondering what exactly he had in mind but she didn’t have to dwell on that because the view was breathtaking. She couldn’t stop gazing at the lush greenery at the both side of the side of the road; it looked like somebody had taken a mown to it. But she knew of course that it was all natural. The car bumped and she turned to look at Uche and the easy way he handled the car. But her heart couldn’t stop beating fast at the way he drove like the some demons were after them; she relaxed moments later when she realized that he was also very careful. She loved looking at him, he looked even better than the wonderful landscape outside. She thought she could look at him forever and still find pleasure in it always,
 He stole a look at her and smiled.
“It is beautiful isn’t it?”
“What?”
She was so engrossed in her thoughts and she didn’t have the faintest idea of what he was talking about.
“The landscape” he answered “They are some of the reason why I love this place”
“Yes it is, I haven’t stopped looking at them myself”
“Where we are going is even better”
“It would help if you would tell me where we are going?”
“Don’t worry you will love it” he turned back to the stirring.
They were silent for a while; Nma was enjoying the view while Uche concentrated on the road. He knew exactly what was going on in her mind now. She was used to being sure of where she went and what she did. He knew that keeping her in the dark about their destination was making her nervous. He smiled and rubbed her shoulders. “Not much longer now”
“How much longer?”
“If you look at the top of that hill, you will see a white house with a golden roof”
Nma’s breath caught in her throat, calling the building a house was an understatement. It was more like a castle standing proudly at the top of the hill.
Uche made a left turn which brought them upon the house and they drove into the compound and kept driving. The road leading to the castle was planted on both sides with flower trees. Uche brought the car to a stop in front of the house; he turned to her full of proud smile as she stared with awe. “Welcome to my home”
“It’s…beautiful…I mean incredible” she said breathless, taken aback by the share splendor of the castle.
“Thank you”
They got out of the car
“You should have told me where we were going?”
Nma could feel her fear rising, why would he bring her to his house, was he thinking he could get her to succumb in this paradise? No she hastily added she trusted him. Moreover he hadn’t done anything since they came back together to suggest that he couldn’t be trusted. What ever happened she was going to prove to him that she was principled and had enough integrity not to let go of that principle. He watched her puzzled face, wondering why she was suddenly afraid and uncertain of being with him, understanding dawned at him. She was afraid he brought her here to seduce her. He felt his temper rise, when was she ever going to trust him? He had given her his word and if she was not going to trust him then all these was a waste of time.
“I didn’t bring you here to seduce you” he told her in clipped tones.
Startled by his anger she turned to him “I wasn’t…”
“You were” he snapped “And I think it’s high time you trusted me”
  “This is my village retreat” He began in a softer tone “I brought you because I love this house and thought you would too and nothing more” he began to walk towards the house and Nma followed feeling like a fool.
“I am sorry Uche”
“Apology accepted” he said
 “Village retreat you said?” asked Nma as they began to walk to the entrance.
“Yes village retreat, you know those times when you feel you need some time alone or you want to hide from the harsh realities of life, this is the place”
At the sound of their knock, the door was opened by a middle aged woman, just like the woman back in his house in the city. The difference between this house keeper and the one back in the city was that this one was friendly while the other one was surly and rude.
“Nma this is Mrs. Ekpo, she and her husband takes care of the house for me, this is Nma”
The woman greeted her eagerly, ushering her into the magnificent hall way “You are very much welcomed to Eden Castle Miss,
“You may call me Nma” she smiled at her kindly.
“Where I come from, Nma means beauty; does it mean the same thing in your language?”
“Yes it does, I didn’t know Nma means beauty in your language too”
“Yes it is, the name becomes you”
“Thank you, you such nice person”
“Oh! Don’t mention I am glad to have you here and I wish you and Uche a happily mar… oh life”
Uche rolled his eyes and intervened. “We will be at the beach Mrs. Ekpo; we will want some light refreshment but serve lunch at the pool side”
“Okay! Okay, I best get started” she turned to Nma. “Let me have that bag”
“Just a minute!” Nma opened the bag and carefully took out her bikini and handed it to Mrs. Ekpo.  The woman walked away briskly.
“She is such a nice fellow” commented Nma
“Yes she is” Uche replied offhandedly as he led her through the house.
“Did I hear you talk about a beach?”
“We are going there now”
“Private Beach? She asked astonished
He didn’t answer immediately; he read between the lines, was she just being curious or was there more to it.
Nma heaved a sigh, knowing exactly why he looked angry.
“You know I think you should trust me too” she told him and moved on leaving him behind
He smiled and went after her, drew her in to his hands for a hug, his own kind of apology.
“The house comes with its private beach”
She forgave him instantly
 “That’s a surprise”
“How is that?” he asked as they walked to the path that led to the beach.
“I never knew that people do own beaches in this country or maybe I don’t read enough of gossip columns”
He chuckled “Gossip columns don’t always tell the truth. I kind of discovered this one by accident and bought it not so many people know that”
“Discovered it!” she wondered as they approached the rolling waters and white sand dotted with some coconut trees. She caught her breath in astonishment. “This is just like the Caribbean” she exclaimed with excitement.
Uche laughed at her excitement, it pleased him to see that she was pleased and excited. He lifted her in his hands and raced to the beach amidst giggles and laughter. He put her down and spread a big beach blanket on the sand and dropped on it, he drew her down with him.
“How did my surprise go?”
“I will let you know”
“I’ll be waiting” he laughed, he stood up and started undressing, Nma raised her eyebrows at him. “I am going for a dip, are you coming?”
“Not yet I think I will enjoy the scenery a little bit”
“Ok” he said as he walked to the rolling waters.
Nma breathed in the salty air and sighed with happiness. “This is heaven” she breathed. She could feel magic simmering in the roaring ocean and whistling wind. It was not as if she had never been to a beach before, it was Uche, she said to herself. She didn’t doubt it. It was he who made the difference. Not just because he owned this magical place but because she would always feel this way wherever she went as far as he was there with her. Her eyes drifted to where he was swimming. And she watched his powerful strokes, the movement of his powerful shoulders. And her breath caught in her throat. “I love this man” she murmured with satisfaction. She stood up, undressed and put on the red bikini Helen had given her. She started towards the beach, the breeze blew at her hair scattering it, and she used her hands to fend them off her face. When she got to the waters, she swam to where he was, watching her. If she was very observant she would have seen that it was with love filled eyes. Mesmerized, he drew her into his arms and kissed her like his life depended on her.
“I …” he breathed when he released her. “You are beautiful” he groaned inwardly. What was wrong with him, why couldn’t he just say it? What could be so difficult in telling her he loved her? He thought just as her words cut into his thought.
“You are the most magnificent male I have ever met”
He laughed “I am not sure you’ve met many”
“You’d be surprised at just how many” she smiled
“So surprise me, tell me how many?”
She kicked him on his hard tummy for an answer and swam away laughing “That serves you right for asking such a stupid question”
“I will get you for this” he threatened swimming after her. Nma knew he was the better swimmer so she swam out to the shore and ran to the towel. Uche came out of the water and came towards her with a mischievous gleam in his eyes but all she could see were his broad shoulders, wide chest and, well formed biceps and flat tummy which tapered down to a lean waist that stood on powerful legs.  The water that glistered and dropped from his body added to the magic. “No man has the right to be this handsome” she murmured.
Just as he got to the towel, smiling mischievously at her, her savior appeared from nowhere in the person of Mrs. Ekpo bearing a picnic basket in her hands. “Sorry it took time” she apologized, dropping the basket in the middle of the basket still apologizing. Uche waved her off and sat down at the other side of the blanket. “Saved by the bell” he said to her as soon as they were alone again.
“Actually I was ready for any prank you would have come up with”
“Don’t think I’ll forget” he said opening the basket and removing the serviette covering. The aroma of freshly baked pastries filled the air. Nma breathed in the air hungrily “Delicious” she murmured. “But I can’t eat these not after the cookies this morning”
“Why, you hardly touched the cookies” he asked picking out a Danish cookie and biting into it.
“That is because I have not touched anything fattening since I was sixteen” she replied.
Uche heaved a sigh “So what harm would a little harmless cookie do to an already skinny body”
“I don’t want to gain weight at the wrong places”
“I will tell you when to start watching your weight; right now you don’t need it. Besides I am not complaining, why worry”
“I am not doing this to make you happy, because I have a feeling you care for me far more than my body” she smiled at him. “I am doing this so that my clothes will fit and to be a good example of what I preach”
“I still don’t see what difference these cookies would make; moreover Mrs. Ekpo would feel slighted if you don’t touch her cookies”
She sighed and picked up one little one and bit into it tentatively.
“Bravo!” he called to her with mocking smiles.
“Hmm!” This is so delicious” she murmured.
She couldn’t believe how many she ate out of the cookies and there were different kinds in the basket, all tasting like paradise just like her environment.
“How did you discover this place?” she surprised herself by asking.
“It is a long story” he said, pushing the basket aside, making way to draw her into his arms.
“I think we have enough time”
“It was about five years ago” he began drawing circles on her belly button with his finger absently. If only he knew what his wandering fingers did to her insides “I was holidaying at a friend’s place not far from here, I wasn’t very familiar with the place and he warned me to stop wandering alone. I was like I am a city boy and can’t loose my way. Besides it was as if there was something I couldn’t fathom calling and always drawing me to this place. Then all these places were covered in thick forest but I listened to my friend and didn’t dare go into the forest. I didn’t think being a city boy equaled wandering in a thick forest alone” he smiled at her and she couldn’t resist touching his face lightly, he kissed her.
“So what happened?”
“One night I was driving back, having stayed late in town and it started raining heavily, suddenly I saw this animal and I swerved to avoid hitting it but I lost the control of the car instead. I must have gone unconscious because when I woke in the morning, I was inside a wrecked car. I managed to get myself out of the wrecked car but I couldn’t recognize where I was” he chuckled relieving the memory. “I was gloriously lost; I decided that walking was better than staying at a place contrary to my scout training. Moreover there was nothing else to do but wait to be found my phone was wrecked. As I wandered about, I began to hear the sound of rolling waters. I followed it and beheld this beauty” he said pointing to the beach. “I fell in love, I stayed here for two days before I was found, the next thing I knew, I was surveying the place and making deals”
Nma was fascinated. She thought this kind of story only happened in movies. “How were you found?” she couldn’t resist asking.
“When I didn’t return in the morning and no one heard from me. My friend got worried and started looking for me, he also informed my parents” he turned to her with a puzzled face “But didn’t you read it in the papers it was all in the papers all over the world” The look on her face told him she didn’t and he went back to his story. “My family organized a search party. They found the car first and followed the sound of the rolling waters and they found me, sitting on a stone and looking content and at peace with nature”
“Were you not afraid of wild animals? I know I would have gone crazy with fear”
“It made me think of Eden, somehow I knew how Adam must have felt before Eve was created, alone and at peace” he finished looking at her lovingly.
“So that’s where the house got its name, Eden Castle” she pronounced.
“Of all the houses I have all over the world, this is my favorite” Uche said.
“Yes it is very beautiful indeed” she agreed.
“I always thought I will live here when I get married”
Her heart skipped a beat at the mention of marriage and she couldn’t form a coherent word. Thank God he wasn’t expecting any answer. Oh but when he said things like that, she just couldn’t help feeling expectant.
“I guess the woman I marry will first of all have to accept living way out of the city” Uche continued
And Nma felt she couldn’t take the innuendoes anymore, was that his round about way of asking if she minded living out here. Well she could give him a round about answer.
“If the woman loves you, she wouldn’t mind where she lived as long as you are there with her” she answered and silently congratulating herself for being so calm when her insides were in puddle.
They stared at each other for while each trying to read the other’s thought until he drew her closer to himself and taking her mouth in a kiss. She melted in arms as he deepened the kiss. A discreet cough brought them apart and they saw Mrs. Ekpo standing over them, somewhat embarrassed.
“What is it, Mrs. Ekpo?”
“I have served lunch” she said quickly.
“We will soon be there and thank you” Uche added to appease the woman sensibility.
“Oh! She looked so embarrassed”
“In her time, girls didn’t behave as wantonly as you do”
“Me, wanton!” she exclaimed
“Yes you are my darling, or tell me” he asked her “Why does a girl who is a novice in the arts of love respond and enjoy my touch so much”
She looked at him confused for a moment as if she was trying to give him an answer. Then she smiled mischievously
“And why does an expert with loads of experience in the arts of love respond and blow his top at the mere touch of a novice?”
He smiled at her words and turned her over to lie beneath him. Looked at her seriously
“I think we both know the answer”
“Yes we do” she answered quietly
“We had better get married before we go crazy with wanting each other”
Nma’s head snapped up, was he proposing? Her heart was beating frantically. She was not going to miss this opportunity if he was, so she decided to test his motives by taking it as casually as he was.
“Name the date and I’ll be yours truly”
Twenty seventh of next month” he pronounced.
“You have a deal” she smiled but the stopped “That doesn’t give me enough time to sew my wedding gown and bridal train”
“Start tonight, anything but be there on twenty seventh”
“Even if I have to walk in Naked” she joked
“That will be a sight to behold” he laughed
“Let’s go and eat before Mrs. Ekpo grows horns” she said standing up.
“Uche you are not serious about getting married, are you? She asked him
He smiled at her “Dead serious”
He couldn’t be, she told herself. She had imagined different ways he would propose to her but never this casually. Surely getting married was a serious affair, nobody laughed when they were asking a woman they loved to marry them. It jolted into her then. He didn’t say he loved her, he just jokingly asked her to marry him on the twenty seventh of next month.
…Incredible Nma, nice going, you got your wish at last, congratulation! But shouldn’t she be ecstatic with joy because if he meant it, she was going to become his wife very soon? No way, she was not going to marry him if he didn’t love her and she was about to ask him as they sat to eat, but her courage failed her. She decided to wait and see if he was serious in the first place. If he was then they would have a serious conversation why he wanted to marry her, was it so they could have sex or did he love her? She decided to concentrate on what she was eating and leave debating with herself for another time.
She couldn’t believe the well prepared Vegetable soup and pounded yam. “You have a treasure in this woman” she told Uche.
“I know” he chuckled and began eating.
“I guess I am going to eat to my satisfaction, and then I will swim till we leave here to work out the excess calories”
“No more watching of weight?” he teased her.
“I eat proper meals; I only stay away from junk and in between meals”
“I kind of like that” he smiled at her.
The meal was a delicious one and she told Mrs. Ekpo that much as she came to clear the plates away.
“Hmm!” Uche murmured sitting back on the chair
“This pool looks so appetizing” she said looking longingly at the pool. The pool was heart shaped and crystal clear.
“Hold on for a minute, you just ate” he murmured sleepily, “How would you like a tour of the house later”
“Oh! That would be very nice” said Nma.
“So your mom invited us to dinner”
He looked at her surprised
“When was that?”
“Yesterday, she came to the boutique; I told her you already made plans for the day”
Uche chuckled.
“You told my mom off”
She gasped “Of course not! I told her that…”
“I get it” he smiled at her “Do you want to go?”
“Yes if it will not interfere with our plans”
“It won’t, I haven’t really made plans for dinner”
She smiled at him.

The tour around the house was fun. It had nine bedrooms in all well furnished with spectacular views from each window. Nma was letting out gasps of oohs and aahs as they went from one room to another. The master’s suite was what took her breath completely away. From the furnishing it spelt masculinity. The bed was so big proudly lounging at the center of the room. It was carved in a form lion’s form. At the foot of the bed was a foot match or the extension of the bed which was like a sleeping lion. Every thing from the cotton drapes to the rug was perfect. “This is wonderful” she exclaimed.
“Isn’t it? I was thinking it will become more beautiful when you add your own touch” Nma’s heart skipped a beat at that. What was wrong with the man? He said nothing today which didn’t point to marriage. But two can play that game she decided.
“It’s already perfect in a masculine way but you are right it will need a famine touch” from the suite they came down to the great ball room
“I have been thinking of having the reception take place here”. Her heart beat stopped completely for a moment, he was already thinking of the reception, he couldn’t be serious, but what if he was? Then did he forget that he was supposed to give her a ring? She decided to play along or pretend she didn’t understand what he was talking about. Nma’s eyes traveled from the chandeliers to the French window then to the marbled floor. The place was so exquisite and would actually be grand for a wedding reception but the location was quite far from the city and she wondered at the distance people would travel to get here. But it would be the wedding of the year so she was sure they wouldn’t mind.
“It would be nice indeed” she cooed. She walked to one of the windows and saw a wonderful garden with garden chairs and light, there was even a pond in it.
“Actually Mrs. Ekpo’s husband is responsible for that beauty” Uche said referring to the garden.
“One can gaze at these forever. I wish I could stay here forever.” Nma said
“Yes you can. This will be our home when we get married.” Her eyes traveled from the lush green lawn to the flower trees, the rose bush, carnation, so colorful and peaceful. She lost her breath and decided to ask him then how serious he was, she turned and walked towards him.
“This is a perfect place to raise a family.” He added “It would be nice to see children running around in the garden, carefree and happy” he said coming to put her hands round her.
“Uche stop please” she laughed nervously. “All these talk about marriage is making me giddy, considering that you just proposed some couple of hours ago that is if you were really serious”
“I was serious, I want to marry you and you agreed so don’t chicken it on me now”
“Why?”
“Isn’t it obvious?”
“So it would be okay for us to sleep together?”
She saw him tense and knew he was trying to hold on to his temper.



No comments:

Post a Comment